Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Stories from a storm...

Written Thursday, December 6th:

Its been a week or so since I last wrote, and tonight seems like as good a reason as any. At 5pm the snow is falling steadily outside my window, the forecast is calling for at least 8" by 5am, another 10-12 during the day, and steady snow throughout tomorrow night, Saturday, and into Sunday; the anticipation of possibly skiing 3 feet of snow in two days is crushing. Better yet, I work tomorrow night and Saturday at 3pm, then Sunday and Monday off! So, I'll be skiing this entire storm without missing a beat...

Of course, both of my guads being strained and my skis having no edges after the past week's powder days and subsequent hunts for softer snow, reminds me that this storm will not all fun and games! Let's hope they hold up.

Written Friday, December 7th:

Alright, writing on Friday morning with a quick update: 10 inches last night, an inch an hour all day today, 12" more 5pm until 5am tomorrow morning, and possibly 10" throughout Saturday and Sat. night! That would make this a 30" storm at least...models are still holding up. SO, Mitch and Sean came up last night to get here early, they are shoveling for breakfast, the bombs are going off throughout the canyon, and EVERYONE is walking on air.

Here's a couple pictures from this morning:


Mitch Bacon rolled into town to pick up Sean for the drive to AK for the winter; of course, they had to stay for most of this storm before heading off. Here they are shoveling the deck on Friday morning in return for food and lodging...great deal!


Sean getting excited, attacking the snow without his skis on yet...


And...here's Sean choking on the goods!


Nothing but smiles after turns like that! Notice the snow stuck on the head...

There were many times during the past few days that I have had to stop and pull snow out of my mouth, take a deep breath, and cough my way back to the lift to do it again. Its a strange sensation, but by no means something to complain about!

Here's the car mid storm:







Kindof romanticizing the whole digging the car out, but its been fun to have to do it...I'll eat those words in a month or so. However, I have never experienced a storm like that...growing up in NH, we had a couple 2-3ft storms...but 40"es and a steady inch an hour for days is a whole other beast.


The view up to The Deep Powder House from the lodge...


Blocking out the sun dog, cup of coffee in hand...


New friend Chris and I, biscotti stealing in progress...

3 comments:

Taylor said...

andy, this sounds amazing. judging from the grins in these photos, you must be eating a lot of shit these days! I'll be in UT at the end of february with becca and her family. I'm staying down in the city with her bro but I hope we can catch up too. Also planning on coming out with alex and adrian in march!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you trying to pose as an angel in that picture? If the kids only knew. By the way, got your blog linked up over at hip2besquare.net so be kind and link me up, bitch.

Anonymous said...

What a bogus blog. How do you go 2 months without a new post. Snoozer.